Music Heritage Institute is dedicated to the preservation of the Sikh heritage
music through research, publication, education and dissemination of information
related to the Sikh music tradition (Shabad keertan parampara, Gurbani keertan parampara, Gurmat sangeet).
SMHI collaborates with universities and other organizations with similar goals.
· Research on the musicology embedded in Guru Granth Sahib
· Educational programs on heritage keertan, especially for the youth
heritage keertan, especially by accomplished musicians
Board of Directors
· Chair: Jagdeep Singh
Mr. Singh has been recognized as one of the most
successful young entrepreneurs in
· President: Inderjit N Kaur, PhD
– Dr. Kaur is an Adjunct Professor and Kiriyama Research Fellow at the Center for the Pacific Rim at the University of San Francisco.
· Vice President: Jaspal Singh Kohli
– Mr. Kohli is Chief Software Architect at a Silicon Valley startup, after serving in senior technical positions at marquee Silicon Valley companies such as Yahoo, Netscape and Intel.
· Secretary: Deborah Malkin, Attorney at Law
– Ms. Malkin has a thriving law practice specializing in trusts and estate planning.
· Treasurer: Nirvikar Singh, PhD
Dr. Singh is Professor of Economics at the
University of California,
SMHI is incorporated as a
· SMHI is tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code.
· SMHI is a volunteer based organization with no paid staff.
Friends of SMHI
· Donors, funding its activities
· Volunteers, managing all its activities
· Musicians and scholars, presenting educational programs
· Collaborating organizations
· Participants, attending its programs